Resources for Potential Changes in 2020-2021
In early January, Superintendent Deborah Gist submitted her recommendation to the Board of Education Education to consolidate Mark Twain Elementary School and Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy into the Tisdale building effective in the 2020-2021 school year. She also submitted a recommendation for the 6th grades in the Central High School neighborhood to be moved to Central Junior High School to create a 6th-8th grade middle school. At our regular meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 21, the Board voted to approve this recommendations.
Effective in the 2020-2021 school year, students currently enrolled in pre-K through 4th grade at Mark Twain Elementary will attend school at Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy. Students currently enrolled in 5th grade at Mark Twain who will attend 6th grade in 2020-2021 will be assigned to Central Middle School.
The teams at Wayman Tisdale and at Central are looking forward to welcoming your child to their new school community in the 2020-2021 school year. These schools will hold new family open houses in the early spring - look for those invitations soon!
If you are interested in considering other school options in our district, we will be providing additional enrollment support for any families affected by school closures and consolidations on the following dates:
● Sat., Jan 25 from 10am-2pm: Enrollment Center (2819 S. New Haven Ave.)
● Mon., Jan. 27 from 7am-7pm: Grimes Elementary School (3213 E. 56th St.)
● Tues., Jan. 28 from 7am-7pm: Jones Elementary School (1515 S. 71st E. Ave.)
● Wed., Jan. 29 from 7am-7pm: Wright Elementary School (1110 E. 45th Pl.)
● Thurs., Jan. 30 from 7am-7pm: Mark Twain Elementary School (541 S. 43rd W. Ave.)
We have every reason to believe that the teachers and staff at Mark Twain will have other opportunities in our district. We will continue to engage with the Mark Twain team to ensure that - as much as possible - teachers are able to move with their students.
Parent Meeting Presentation
January - March
- Meetings with teachers and staff potentially affected by closures and consolidations
- Meetings with families potentially affected by closures and consolidations
March - June
- District and school teams plan for and begin implementation
- Changes would take effect
- How do we support our families and teams during closures and consolidations?
- What happens when Tulsa Public schools are closed or consolidated?
- What will happen to the teachers at Mark Twain?
- What if I want to send my child to another school instead of Wayman Tisdale?
- My child is on transfer. Will he or she be able to attend Wayman Tisdale?
- Will my child be eligible for transportation?